Hello and welcome to Coffee & Stardust.
What’s in the name? I always start my day with freshly ground coffee and the latest astrophysics news. It is humbling to be living in an epoch, where I can enjoy the rapidly expanding knowledge of our inconceivably huge universe. It gives perspective on life and all of it's trivial things. I recommend you give it a try!
That's not to demean some of the troubles of the world. If a barbarian horde arrived to ransack my village, I guess my perspective would shift suddenly, especially now that I am a dad. I never forget that many people past and present have it really tough.
I never thought I would ever be writing a blog, particularly as my education was rubbish and I can barely spell. So please forgive my ramblings! I do hope some of them might be useful to you. The topics I cover will be an eclectic mix. The main ones for the moment will be:
1) PARENTING I am obviously a massive noob in this area! However, I am planning a definitive post on i-Size car seats as I have researched the data right up to WHO level.
I will gabble on about a variety of topics: busting myths and bad science in parenting, giving general advice, D.I.Y. tips, assessing equipment & tech, baby & parent psychology, being prepared, love and compassion.
2) FITNESS HEALTH & WELL-BEING This will include everything from assessing products, equipment, nutrition, latest genetic research, hiking, training regimes, losing fat, defying aging, and emotional well-being strategies. All for the real world!
3) SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY I love astrophysics (even though it often hurts my simple brain) and I will share some of the thought provoking news that I come across. I am fascinated by evolution, genetics and why we do stuff, it's fun to try and analyse ourselves in this way. I will be recommending and reviewing a variety of tech equipment as well as sharing developments in technology and engineering. I will be laying into bad science, especially old wives tales and 'University of the Internet' science. In the past I would mainly have dealt with bad science for fitness and health. However, as a new father I have been horrified at the absolute garbage information available to new parents. Old wives tales, folklore and myths, handed down by generations of parents and sometimes even b****y health professionals! Some of it is actually endangering babies lives, as well as parents sanities!
4) LIFESTYLE General musings and day to day events as they unfold. Home styling on a budget, fashion and family time. DIY tips, especially quick-fix parenting ones.
5) FILM & ART I have had a recent dabble with filmmaking. When my son Alfred came along it put the brakes on things a bit, as I am inseparable from him, but I am just getting back on it! I will discuss tips and tricks that I have learnt, as well as equipment, industry, music composing and chatting about TV shows and films....and everything you can imagine about micro budget filmmaking! All my arts are on the cheap, very much like a Pink Floyd concert for 500 quid! ?
Anyway, I look forward to spending some time with you over your morning coffee, juice, protein shake, beer, whisky or vodka. No doubt I will get most of this wrong, which should make it amusing for you!
PRESENT: Coffee addict Dan is 42, a father, husband, health & fitness professional, filmmaker, photographer and budding scientist. Welcome to his tiny part of the universe, where he chats nonsensical about the topics he loves.